Good Bye FA Cup! – Heybridge Swifts

Haringey Borough V Heybridge Swifts
FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round
Saturday 14th October 2017
Coles Park

The dream is over.. On a day of heartache, Haringey failed at the last hurdle to reach the 1st round proper of the FA Cup. A record crowd of over 400 saw two teams from the same division try and be the only representative of Bostik League one north left in the competition.

The game started slowly but it was the away side that were having more of the ball. As early as the 7th minute Borough defenders were clearing off the goal line from a corner and then Swifts scored a fortunate goal. The ball came into the penalty area and Swifts forward reached the ball before Valery Pajetat and crossed, hitting Lawrence Yiga and diverting it into the net. The Swifts fans went wild.

Heybridge were having more and more of the ball and Pajetat was the busier keeper, scrambling everywhere to make sure the score stayed at one.

The best move of the half though belonged to Haringey. A few minutes before half-time the ball went from Haringey’s penalty area to Heybridge’s box with neat passes from all involved and Michael O’Donoghue fired just inches wide with a fierce left foot shot with the keeper beaten.

Half-Time: Haringey Borough 0 – Heybridge Swifts 1

The second half started with Haringey all over Heybridge like a rash. First Michael Ademiluyi had his shot saved by the keeper and then Jamie O’Donoghue hit the post after a Pajetat clearance had Swifts defence in disarray. Then the moment the Haringey faithful had hoped for, an equaliser.

Michael O’Donoghue out sprinted the Swifts defence crossed and Ralston Gabriel made sure this time and buried the ball in the net. The relief was immense, but this only galvanise the visitors.

Within 15 minutes after the equaliser Heybridge was all over Haringey. First Samuel Bantick beat the offside trap, then 5 minutes later a penalty was given for a bad tackle and buried, Pajetat getting a hand to the ball but the shot was to strong and lastly Luke Callender scored his second from 6 yards to finish the game as a contest.

There was 15 minutes to go for Haringey to salvage something, but all they could manage was a single goal right at the end when Ruaridh Kay tapped in from a corner.

The final whistle went and the difference between the two sets of fans was evident. Total joy for Heybridge Swifts, total dejection for Haringey. So close yet so far…

Attendance: 401

Next Up: (Monday October 17th 2017) Brings Haringey Borough back to the bread and butter of league football (Home to Maldon and Tiptree), where promotion to Bostik Premier is their main priority.