Match Report: Hornchurch FC 3 Haringey Borough 1

Isthmian League Premier Division

Borough fell to their 3rd straight defeat on Tuesday night as a powerful Hornchurch side ran out 3-1 winners. Despite the scoreline there were plenty of positives for Boro and the game was only made safe in the dying minutes.

Tom gave first league starts to Vilcu and Djamas along with using the squad to ake other changes from the side that lost in the FA Cup at the weekend

Boro lined up: Miles, Olufemi, Vilcu, Richards, Mitchell, Michael O’Donoghue, Djamas, Sambu, Bawling, Jamie O’Donoghue, Akandiyini. Subs: Leblond, Aresti, Dombaxe, Bessadi, Bitsindou

With their 5-3-2 formation Boro looked to get MOD and Tosin forward from full back and the first opportunity came to MOD as his volley from Bawling’s cross was blocked. Soon after, some quick passing released MOD again but this time he was stopped by the offside flag.

Hornchurch had forced one corner in the first quarter of an hour after breaking from halfway and whilst looking threatening had not created much danger, until a mix up between Miles and Vilcu led to the first goal. A long ball over the Boro defence had Vilcu tracking back with an attacker. As he called for Miles to come to collect , the keeper hesitated. that was just enough for the attacker to steal in front of Vilcu and pass square across the area for Dickson to pass into an empty net

The setback didn’t seem to affect Boro negatively and for most of the rest of the half played on the front foot. Bawling and Tosin were particularly involved, both having multiple efforts saved, go wide or blocked with the best chance falling to Bawling 10 minutes before the break. After being played in by Tosin his left foot shot curled over.

A further period of pressure late in the half saw Boro keep a free kick alive. Mitchell fired in from 30 yards and Wright in the Hornchurch goal pushed it out wide. Tosin crossed back in and as Jamie challenged Wright could not collect and an ensuing scramble came to edge of the area only for Sambu to fire over.

The half ended with Boro very much looking likely to score but unable to find the finishing touch required.

They almost paid the price for not equalising early in the second half, twice. In the very first minute a through ball beat the defence and was skewed wide when the striker was well placed and soon after a free header from a corner was hacked off the Boro line.

To try and create more impetus Aresti and Dombaxe were brought on for Vilcu and Akandiyini and Boro reverted to a more familiar 4-3-3. Both subs were soon involved in a fine move down the right, leading to bawling winning a corner.

And, almost straight from the corner Hornchurch went 2 goals up. As they broke from the Boro set piece Aresti made a great challenge on halfway, only for the ball to squirm into the patch of an attacker. The counter attack continued towards the edge of the box with Miles exposed, and again, a simple square ball across the area was tapped home. It was harsh on Boro but the Hornchurch front line had looked dangerous on a number of occasions and when the good chances came they did not let them go.

This left Boro with half an hour to get back into the game. Chances were at a premium until with 10 minutes to go Baling scored a contender for goal of the season. Jamie was fouled near halfway as he collected a ball to feet but managed to lay the ball off to Aresti. Georgios burst forward and across and fed Bawling, 25 yards out near the corner of the box. A step inside the defender and he curled a magnificent effort into the far top corner leaving Wright with no chance.

Boro kept pushing as the game entered the final 10 minutes but could not get the real chance they needed and as they pushed forward Hornchurch began to exploit the space. They nearly got through save for a heavy touch that ran through to Miles, but got the decisive 3rd goal with 2 minutes to go. Miles initially did well to block a shot but the rebound fell kindly for Ruff to score.

Three added minutes brought nothing of note and leave Boro in 9th in the division.

Next Match: Saturday 31st October 2020, Faversham Town v Haringey Borough, FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round, 15:0, Aquatherm Stadium, Salters Lane, ME13 8ND.

Pay on the day. Pricing information: